While many family spend a fortune investing in a bunch of fancy decorating and gift sets, creating a festive and spooky Halloween atmosphere actually doesn’t have to break the bank. With a little creativity and resourcefulness, you can transform your home into a haunted haven without spending a fortune. In this article, we will explore ten cheap Halloween decorations ideas that are both economical and fun.
DIY Paper Jack-o’-Lanterns
Creating DIY paper Jack-o’-Lanterns is a fun and creative way to decorate for Halloween. Here’s a simple guide on how to make them:
Materials you’ll need:
- Orange construction paper or cardstock
- Black construction paper or black marker
- Glue stick or craft glue
- LED tea lights (optional)
- Prepare the materials: Gather all the materials listed above on a flat, clean surface. Make sure you have enough orange and black paper for each Jack-o’-Lantern you want to create.
- Draw the pumpkin shape: Using a pencil, draw a pumpkin shape on the orange construction paper. The shape should resemble a rounded oval with a slightly curved top and bottom.
- Cut out the pumpkin shape: Carefully cut along the outline of the pumpkin shape you just drew. Take your time to make the edges as smooth as possible.
- Create the face: Draw a spooky or silly face on the pumpkin shape using either a black marker or black construction paper. Traditional Jack-o’-Lantern faces include triangular eyes, a nose, and a jagged mouth, but feel free to get creative and make your own unique designs.
- Cut out the face: If you used black construction paper for the face, cut out the eye, nose, and mouth shapes. If you used a black marker, proceed to the next step.
- Glue the face onto the pumpkin: Use a glue stick or craft glue to attach the black facial features onto the orange pumpkin shape. Press down firmly to make sure they stick properly.
- Assemble the Jack-o’-Lantern: Fold the pumpkin shape in half vertically so that the face is on the outside. This will create a 3D effect for your Jack-o’-Lantern.
- Add finishing touches: If you want your paper Jack-o’-Lantern to emit a soft glow, place an LED tea light inside the folded pumpkin. Be sure to use an LED light, as it is safe and won’t pose a fire hazard.
- Display your paper Jack-o’-Lantern: Set your DIY paper Jack-o’-Lanterns on a windowsill, mantelpiece, or any other spooky spot in your home to add a festive touch to your Halloween decorations.
Making paper Jack-o’-Lanterns is much simpler and safer than actual carving pumpkins, especially if you’re working with kids. Get creative and have fun with different face designs and sizes to make your paper Jack-o’-Lanterns unique!
DIY Spooky Window Silhouettes
Self-making spooky window silhouettes is a fantastic way to add a haunting touch to your home’s Halloween decorations, and it is also super easy. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make DIY spooky window silhouettes:
Materials you’ll need:
- Black construction paper or black poster board
- Scissors or a craft knife (for adult use only)
- Tape or adhesive putty
- Pencil or white chalk
- Spooky silhouette templates (you can find printable ones online or draw your own)
- Choose your spooky silhouette: Decide on the spooky shapes or characters you want to create. Common choices include witches, bats, ghosts, zombies, skeletons, or any other Halloween-themed figure. You can either find printable templates online or draw your own on a white piece of paper.
- Enlarge the silhouette (if necessary): If you’re using small templates, you might want to enlarge them to fit your window. Use a photocopier or draw a larger version of the silhouette on a bigger piece of paper.
- Cut out the silhouette: Place the template on the black construction paper or poster board and trace its outline with a pencil or white chalk. Then, carefully cut along the traced lines using scissors or a craft knife (if you’re using a craft knife, make sure it’s handled by an adult for safety).
- Prepare the window: Clean the window surface where you intend to place the silhouette. This will ensure that the cutouts adhere properly and look clear from both inside and outside.
- Attach the silhouette to the window: Use tape or adhesive putty to attach the black paper cutouts to the inside of the window. Be sure to position them so that they face outward, visible from the outside.
- Create a scene (optional): If you have multiple silhouettes, you can create a spooky scene on your window. Arrange the cutouts to tell a Halloween-themed story or to create a chilling atmosphere.
- Add lighting (optional): For an extra eerie effect during the evening, place a soft light source behind the window silhouettes. You can use LED string lights, battery-operated candles, or any other safe lighting option.
- Adjust as needed: Step back and take a look at your window silhouettes from both inside and outside to ensure they look as spooky as you want them to be. Make any necessary adjustments to their placement or add more silhouettes if desired.
Remember to have fun and get creative with your DIY spooky window silhouettes. They’re an excellent way to set the Halloween mood and delight trick-or-treaters and passersby!
DIY Glowing Ghost Balloons
Creating DIY glowing ghost balloons is another fantastic and spooky way to decorate for Halloween. These ethereal decorations can be used both indoors and outdoors to add an eerie ambiance to your Halloween party or haunted house. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make glowing ghost balloons:
Materials you’ll need:
- White balloons (large round ones work best for this project)
- Glow sticks or LED light sticks (available at party supply stores)
- Black permanent marker
- String or fishing line
- Helium (if you want the balloons to float, optional)
- Activate the glow sticks: If you’re using glow sticks, activate them by bending and shaking them as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Alternatively, if you’re using LED light sticks, make sure they have working batteries.
- Insert the glow sticks: Carefully insert one activated glow stick into each white balloon. You can use the end of a wooden spoon or a pencil to help push the glow sticks inside without puncturing the balloons.
- Inflate the balloons: Blow up the balloons with air or, if you want them to float, use helium to inflate them. For an added spooky effect, slightly underinflate the balloons to make them look more ghost-like and allow them to sway gently.
- Tie the balloons: Securely tie the necks of the balloons to prevent the air or helium from escaping.
- Draw ghostly faces: Using a black permanent marker, draw spooky ghost faces on the balloons. You can create different expressions for each ghost to give them individual personalities.
- Hang the glowing ghost balloons: Attach a string or fishing line to the tied neck of each balloon. You can create a bunch of glowing ghost balloons and hang them indoors from the ceiling or outdoors from tree branches, porch railings, or any other suitable spot.
- Turn off the lights: Once it’s dark or as the evening sets in, turn off the lights to see your glowing ghost balloons come to life. The activated glow sticks or LED light sticks inside will emit an eerie glow, creating a hauntingly delightful effect.
- Safety tips: If you plan to hang the balloons outdoors, make sure they are secured properly to avoid them floating away or getting tangled in trees or power lines. Also, avoid using candles or any open flames near the balloons to prevent accidents.
These DIY glowing ghost balloons are sure to be a hit at your Halloween gathering and will create a spooky and enchanting atmosphere for everyone to enjoy.
DIY Halloween Luminaries
DIY Halloween luminaries are a fantastic way to create an inviting ambiance for those adorable trick or treat kiddos. These luminaries are easy to make and can be placed indoors or outdoors to add a haunting glow to your Halloween festivities. Here’s how to make them:
Materials you’ll need:
- Glass jars or mason jars (different sizes and shapes)
- Tissue paper or vellum paper in Halloween colors (orange, black, purple, etc.)
- Mod Podge or white glue diluted with water
- Tea lights or battery-operated LED candles
- Clean the jars: Ensure that the glass jars are clean and free from any labels or sticky residue. You can use soap and water or a little rubbing alcohol to clean the surface thoroughly.
- Cut the paper: Cut the tissue paper or vellum paper into pieces that will fit around the glass jars. You can cut out spooky shapes like bats, witches, pumpkins, or ghosts, or simply create strips of paper for a more abstract effect.
- Apply the glue: Dilute the white glue with a small amount of water to create a thin, paintable consistency (if you’re using Mod Podge, you can skip this step). Use a paintbrush to apply the glue to the outside of the glass jar where you want to place the paper.
- Add the paper: Carefully place the cut-out tissue paper or vellum paper onto the glued areas of the jar. Smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles with your fingers.
- Seal with more glue: Once the paper is in place, apply a thin layer of glue over the entire outside surface of the jar. This will help seal the paper and protect it from moisture.
- Let it dry: Allow the luminaries to dry completely. This may take a few hours, depending on the type of glue used.
- Insert lights: Once the luminaries are dry, place tea lights or battery-operated LED candles inside the jars. The soft glow will shine through the paper, creating a spooky and enchanting effect.
- Display the luminaries: Arrange the Halloween luminaries in groups or line them up along a walkway, porch railing, or windowsill. They can also be used as table centerpieces for Halloween parties.
Important safety tips:
- If you’re using real candles, be sure to keep a close eye on them and place them away from flammable materials. Alternatively, battery-operated LED candles are a safer option.
- Do not leave candles unattended, especially if they are near paper decorations.
- Keep the luminaries out of the reach of children and pets.
With these DIY Halloween luminaries, you’ll create a magical and eerie ambiance that will delight both trick-or-treaters and guests at your Halloween celebrations!
DIY Witch’s Potion Bottles
For those inner witches and wizards, creating DIY witch’s potion bottles is a fun and creative Halloween craft that can add a spooky and mystical touch to your Halloween decor. These bottles can be used as decorations for a witch-themed party, as part of a haunted house display, or simply as eerie ornaments around your home. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make your own witch’s potion bottles:
Materials you’ll need:
- Empty glass bottles or jars with cork stoppers or lids (various shapes and sizes)
- Brown, black, and/or green craft paint
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Twine or jute string
- Labels or printed potion labels (you can find free printable templates online)
- Mod Podge or clear craft sealant (optional)
- Gather your bottles: Start by collecting empty glass bottles or jars. You can use old medicine bottles, spice jars, or any glass containers with interesting shapes. Clean the bottles thoroughly to remove any labels or residue.
- Paint the bottles: Use brown, black, or green craft paint to give the bottles an aged and mysterious appearance. You can paint them solid or use a dry-brushing technique to create a weathered look. Let the paint dry completely.
- Distress the bottles (optional): For a more weathered and vintage look, you can lightly sand the painted bottles in some areas using sandpaper. This will give them a worn and aged effect.
- Add decorative elements: Use a hot glue gun to attach twine or jute string around the necks or bodies of the bottles. This will give them a rustic and witchy vibe. You can also add small trinkets like faux spiders, tiny bones, or small charms to the bottles using the glue gun.
- Apply potion labels: Print out potion labels or use pre-made stickers. Cut them out and adhere them to the bottles using Mod Podge or clear craft sealant to make them look authentic.
- Create the potions: Fill the bottles with colored liquids or substances to resemble magical potions. You can use colored water, glitter glue, or even food coloring mixed with water to create the desired effect.
- Seal the bottles (optional): To protect the labels and give the bottles a finished look, you can apply a coat of Mod Podge or clear craft sealant over the entire surface of the bottle. This step is optional but can add to the longevity of your creations.
Once your witch’s potion bottles are complete, you can display them on shelves, windowsills, or as part of a Halloween centerpiece. They will add a mysterious and bewitching charm to your Halloween decorations, perfect for any witch-themed festivities!
DIY Halloween Garland
Making a DIY Halloween garland is also a super simple and enjoyable way to add a festive touch to your home for Halloween. You can customize it with various spooky elements and colors to suit your Halloween decor theme. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make a Halloween garland:
Materials you’ll need:
- Halloween-themed paper or cardstock (black, orange, purple, or any other Halloween colors)
- Halloween-themed stickers or die-cuts (optional)
- Twine or string
- Hole punch
- Glue stick or craft glue
- Cut the shapes: Decide on the shapes you want to include in your Halloween garland. Common Halloween shapes include pumpkins, bats, ghosts, witches’ hats, skulls, and spiders. You can either draw and cut the shapes by hand or use Halloween-themed stickers or die-cuts for convenience.
- Prepare the garland base: Cut a length of twine or string according to how long you want your garland to be. Make sure to leave some extra length on each end for hanging.
- Arrange the shapes: Lay out the cut-out shapes or stickers in the order you want them to appear on the garland. This will help you visualize the final design and ensure you have enough shapes to cover the desired length of the garland.
- Glue the shapes: Use a glue stick or craft glue to attach the shapes to the twine. Apply a small amount of glue to the back of each shape and press it onto the twine, leaving some space between each shape.
- Optional: Add extra decorations: If you have Halloween-themed stickers or die-cuts, you can add them between the main shapes to add more detail and interest to the garland.
- Punch holes (alternative method): An alternative to gluing is to punch small holes at the top of each shape and thread the twine through the holes. This method can give a different look to the garland and allows you to adjust the spacing of the shapes.
- Hang the garland: Once all the shapes are attached, your DIY Halloween garland is ready to be hung. You can display it along a mantelpiece, staircase, wall, or across windows or doorways.
- Get creative: Feel free to add your personal touch by incorporating other Halloween-themed elements like mini LED lights, fake spider webs, or other spooky decorations.
If you haven’t got any ideas of Halloween decorating, consider creating a DIY Halloween garland as it is a fantastic way to get into the Halloween spirit and add a festive and playful touch to your home decor.
DIY Halloween Chalkboard Signs
Making DIY Halloween chalkboard signs is a creative and versatile way to add spooky messages and designs to your Halloween decorations, and it is also highly reusable. Chalkboard signs are easy to customize and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create your own Halloween chalkboard signs:
Materials you’ll need:
- Chalkboard or chalkboard paint (if making your own chalkboard surface)
- Chalk or chalk markers in Halloween colors (white, orange, green, purple, etc.)
- Chalkboard eraser or damp cloth
- Wooden boards or picture frames (if making your own chalkboard surface)
- Paint and paintbrush (if making your own chalkboard surface)
- Halloween-themed stencils or templates (optional)
- Pencil (if sketching designs before using chalk)
- Prepare the chalkboard surface: If you already have a chalkboard, make sure it’s clean and free of any previous chalk markings. If you don’t have a chalkboard, you can create your own by painting a wooden board or the glass of a picture frame with chalkboard paint. Follow the paint manufacturer’s instructions for application and drying time.
- Decide on your message or design: Plan what you want your Halloween chalkboard sign to say or feature. You can write spooky messages like “Boo!,” “Trick or Treat,” “Beware,” or “Happy Halloween.” Alternatively, draw Halloween-themed designs like ghosts, witches, pumpkins, bats, or skeletons.
- Use stencils or freehand: If you’re not confident in your freehand drawing skills, you can use Halloween-themed stencils or templates. Secure the stencil in place with tape and use chalk to trace the design onto the chalkboard surface. If you prefer freehand drawing, lightly sketch the design with a pencil before using chalk.
- Start chalking: Use chalk or chalk markers to fill in the traced design or create your message on the chalkboard. Chalk markers can provide more vibrant colors and cleaner lines. Don’t worry about perfection; the slightly imperfect look adds to the charm of chalkboard signs.
- Add decorative elements: You can enhance your chalkboard sign by adding small embellishments like spiderweb doodles, bats flying around the letters, or pumpkins in the corners.
- Erase and redo (if needed): If you make a mistake or want to change something, simply erase the chalk and start again. Chalkboard signs are forgiving and allow you to experiment until you’re satisfied with the result.
- Display your sign: Once you’ve finished creating your Halloween chalkboard sign, display it in a prominent place at your Halloween party, on your front porch, or as part of your indoor Halloween decor.
Chalkboard signs are a versatile and reusable decoration. You can update them for different Halloween events or use them year after year. With a little creativity, you can design spooky and captivating chalkboard signs to enhance your Halloween celebrations!
Come up with any other cheap Halloween decorations ideas?
Halloween is a time for creativity, fun, and spooky delights, and decorating your home shouldn’t break the bank. With these ten cheap Halloween decoration ideas, you can transform your space into a haunted haven that will thrill both kids and adults. From DIY paper jack-o’-lanterns and spooky window silhouettes to ghost balloons and haunted mason jars, these affordable decorations will ensure a boo-tiful and memorable celebration for everyone. So, gather your materials, get into the Halloween spirit, and have a spooktacular time decorating your home for the most ghoulish holiday of the year!